One of the things that has struck me about The John Robert Powers Way to Teenage Beauty, Charm, and Popularity is the emphasis on outer beauty being an extension of inner beauty. How very different than today! It seems like every magazine these days has an article on how a potion or an “injectable” or going under the knife will enable us to finally achieve lasting beauty. And, if that doesn’t do the trick, there is always PhotoShop. The truth is, even the models themselves don’t look anything like the photos that end up in ads and in magazines.
As modern retro women, though, we know better and aren’t persuaded to do crazy things to ourselves in the name of beauty. No, we rely on timeless commandments of beauty such as those espoused by Mr. Powers (copied here as written in his book):
- There are no ugly ducklings…every girl can become a swan…most beauties are made–not born!!
- A beautiful complexion is nine parts cleanliness…one part makeup!! Cosmetics are meant to enhance…not disguise the face!!!
- Your figure is the direct result of your eating and exercise habits…
- The easiest recipe for new beauty is a new hair do!!
- The most important thing a girl wears is the expression on her face!!
- It isn’t the clothes that make the girl…It’s the girl who makes the clothes! Good taste, a good figure and a sense of style can make a $10.00 dress look alike a $100.00 creation!!
- Good grooming is the most convincing evidence of good looks!!!
- There are only two unforgivable flaws in a girl…one is bad manners and the other is a bad odor!
- Good posture creates the “Proud Look”…hallmark of the models…when a girl looks poised, she feels poised–and when she feels poised–she is poised!
- The natural girl will always be in style…over-done makeup, garish clothes, affected manners are never in fashion!!!
In essence, beauty the retro way won’t cost us a bazillion dollars at the cosmetics counter or the plastic surgeons (and we won’t be slathering goo of questionable origin all over us, either). Good manners, good grooming, and eating right and exercising are keys to beauty and poise.
Get the Five Days to a 1950s-style Gracious & Elegant Life Mini-course
Subscribe (free!) to my newsletter with tips and updates PLUS get my (free!) Five Days to a 1950s-style Gracious and Elegant Life mini-course. Once subscribed, I will send you a newsletter with midcentury lessons for subscribers only. You also get access to a private Facebook group for subscribers only. How great is that?